Healthcare Leadership ModelThe Healthcare Leadership Model (HLM) has been developed by the NHS Leadership Academy. It is a tool that can help you become a better leader in your day-to-day role. Personal & Professional Home
You don’t have to be in a clinical or service setting to use it. And it doesn’t matter whether you work in a team of five or are responsible for 5,000, you can benefit by discovering and exploring your own leadership behaviours.
The Healthcare Leadership Model is useful for everyone because it describes the things you can see leaders doing at work and demonstrates how you can develop as a leader – even if you’re not in a formal leadership role.
How does it work?
The nine dimensions of the Healthcare Leadership Model are:
- Inspiring shared purpose
- Leading with care
- Evaluating information
- Connecting our service
- Sharing the vision
- Engaging the team
- Holding to account
- Developing capability
- Influencing for results
For each dimension, leadership behaviours are shown on a four-part scale which range from ‘essential’ through ‘proficient’ and ‘strong’ to ‘exemplary’.
Within these scales, the leadership behaviours themselves are presented as a series of questions. The questions are short descriptions of what the leadership dimension looks like at each part of the scale. These are the questions that guide leaders’ thoughts and result in effective leadership behaviour. They are written in the ‘first person’ (Do I . . . ?), but are not meant to be answered with a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Instead, they should help you explore your intentions and motivations, and see where your strengths and areas for development may lie. You may also want to think about what evidence you could provide to support your answers.
Research has shown that all nine dimensions of the model are important in an individual’s leadership role. However, the type of job they have, the needs of the people they work with, and the context of their role within their organisation will all affect which dimensions are most important for them to use and develop. It is also important to realise that areas identified for development within the model may be as much about how you manage yourself as about how you manage your behaviour and relate to other people.
Self Assessment Tool
What is 360 degree feedback?
Who is the 360° tool for?
Once you’ve explored the dimensions, you may want to undertake the free self assessment tool, which helps you to assess your leadership behaviours and more fully understand your leadership development.
A 360° feedback tool is also available to help give you insight into other people’s perceptions of your leadership abilities and behaviour.
The 360° tool reflects the 9 domains of the Healthcare Leadership Model.
Staff who may benefit from undertaking the HLM 360° might be:
- Looking for further information on their leadership behaviours
- Wanting to benchmark their leadership performance against others
- Seeking to understand the impact of their behaviour on others
- Looking to draw up personal development plans
What are the benefits of the 360 degree tool?
- Increased self-awareness
- Discovering blind spots
- Understanding strengths
- Taking ownership and control of own development
- Improved communication
- More open culture
- Improved team working and mutual understanding
- Improved leadership skills / capabilities
What is the cost of the HLM 360 degree feedback tool?
The cost to implement the 360 degree feedback tool is £40 (+VAT) per person. Organisation or group reports are also be available for an additional £35 (+VAT).
How do I get started?
- You will need to register for a free NHS Leadership Academy ID number. Visit the NHS Leadership Academy website to find out more www.leadershipacademy.nhs.uk
- To set up your 360 degree feedback report, you will need to have a Purchase Order reference available, or else the valid credit/debit card you would like to use. You may also want to have the names and email addresses of the people you would like to invite as your raters, however you can still get started without having these right away.